Monday, September 3, 2012

Fall brings football

It's fall, well not really, but football season has begun, and most importantly, Notre Dame football.  It was a huge season for Diamond, and while I usually watch every game, it also became something we discussed and that he and Keith had in common. At least once a season, Keith, my dad and my uncle went to a game on a bus trip, and many years there was a second game for Keith and Dad (and sometimes me).  Discussion at dinner after a game was usually heated with diamond and Keith speaking their minds about the coach or a player.  We knew what was going on behind the scenes because Diamond read many websites to keep informed.  I know my brothers often called to talk ND or Steeler football, so this is a bittersweet season for them as well.
I also know that there were times Dad didn't answer the phone until the game was over especially if it wasn't going so well. A lot of that was due to my grandfather calling for many years, but sometimes he needed to watch entire game before giving an opinion.  I, of course, would leave a message kind of like this.Hey, Dad, it's me.  Pick up the phone or I will call again, and then I will have to get in my car to check on you.  Yeah, it usually worked...even if he wouldn't call anyone else until the end of the game ( sorry brothers)
The last game we went to together was a rainy Michigan game.  We did our usual visit tone grotto and bookstore Friday, but had to get to campus early for parking.  The three of us had breakfast, and then went for a walk.  As it was raining, we found our way to the ACC and wandered around looking in the monogram room, and seeing all the ND stufF you miss seeing as a student.  We didn't sit with dad as my cousin had come in for the game, but we did keep a eye on him.  It was a great weekend even with the typical SB weather, and one I thank God I got to have in the recent past.

It was hard watching the win against Navy without being able to call Dad.  It could be a long season, but I need to remember, as Doug stated...he has a win in heaven...and he has the best seat in the world and heavens, I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment